The non-graded upper secondary school
All Jyväskylä upper secondary schools are non-graded. This means that the student´s progress is not tied to the yearly class system. The student can move freely in different groups and is under the guidance of many different teachers. Different upper secondary schools carry out the non-graded system in various ways.
In the non-graded upper secondary school
- there is no such thing as being promoted to a higher grade or moving from one grade to another and there is no additional summer work for failed classes
- completing a course is not tied to yearly classes
- the total amount of courses is calculated from the entire upper secondary school time
- you can complete upper secondary school at your own pace, usually within two to four years
- you can redo failed and sometimes also passed courses
- you can begin your baccalaureate either in spring or fall
- you make choices all the time
- studying is very independent
- teaching groups change
- only the tutor groups are permanent, and each one has its own group leader
Choosing subjects in upper secondary school
The variety in subjects to choose from differ between upper secondary schools, and small groups are not established. For exceptional subjects students may be gathered together from different schools. It is recommended to check the distribution of hours and subject possibilities from each school individually.