RISE AND RULE OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE
STUDY THE POWER POINT PRESENTATION ON THE RISE OF THE ROMANS( IN FOLDER) AND WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY ( LINKS) ON THE RISE OF ROME. THEN ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ( YOU MAY USE OTHER LINKS AND SOURCES ASWELL..)
1) WHY WAS IT THE CITY OF ROME WHICH BECAME SO POWERFUL; WAS THERE SOMETHING SPECIAL IN THAT TOWN?
2) DESCRIBE THE NATURE OF THE ROMAN PEOPLE; WHY WERE THEY ABLE TO DEFEAT ALL THE OTHER CITY-STATES OF " ITALY"
3) EXAMINE THE EXPANSION OF ROME: WHERE, WHEN AND WHAT WAS THE RESULT?
4) GET FAMILIAR WITH THE ROMAN SOCIETY; STUDY THE ESTABLISHMENT OF DIFFERENT SOCIAL GROUPS, ROLE OF WOMEN..
Get familiar with your topic ( literature, theatre, art..) and produce a power point presentation on given topic. The main focus will be on the following questions:
1) Examine the given aspect on the Greek society; what, why and what were the effects on the society?
2) Discuss the question : to what extent is it fair to say that your topic has had an important impact on our modern society?
STUDY THE STORY/ PLAY OF MOLIERE´S MISER AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ( ON A SEPARATE PAPER)
1) EVALUATE THE SOURCE ( MOLIERE´S MISER) BY ITS
- ORIGIN ( THE TITLE, WHEN WAS IT PUBLISHED..),
- PURPOSE ( WHY WAS IT WRITTEN?)
- VALUE ( for historians when studying/ investigating this historical period)
- LIMITATIONS ( can we trust it, is it a proper historical source?)
a) THE MAIN STORY
b) CHARACTERS ( main etc)
c) ENVIRONMENT ( country, city, countryside..)
d) THE HISTORICAL PERIOD OF THE PLAY ( century, decade, historical style)
3)) HOW COULD YOU LINK MOLIERE´S MISER TO ABSOLUTISM?
4)) GIVE SOME EXAMPLES DEALING WITH THE STORY WHICH CONCLUDE THE MORAL OF THE PLAY
5) DID YOU LIKE THE STORY/ WAS IT EASY TO FOLLOW? DID IT HELP YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE HISTORICAL PERIOD?
- THE AIM OF THE ESSAY IS TO INVESTIGATE...
- THE ESSAY TRIES TO FIND ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS; TO WHAT EXTENT IS IT FAIR TO SAY..
- IT IS IMPORTANT TO STUDY THESE QUESTIONS BECAUSE..
2) SUMMARY OF EVIDENCE
- ALL THE FACTS SUPPORTING THE RESEARCH QUESTION; FACTS DEALING WITH THE ANCIENT GREEK CULTURE, HERITAGE, OUR VALUES, EUROPEAN CULTURE, COMPARE AND CONTRAST..
- DISCUSS THE EVIDENCE; GIVE DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEWS, INTERPRETATIONS; USE "ON THE OTHER HAND", "HOWEVER", "MOREOVER". INTRODUCE THE EFFECTS IN THE LONG RUN. WIDER CONTEXT MEANS THAT YOU ANALYSE THE UNIQUE CULTURAL HERITAGE AND ITS IMPACT.
- ANSWER THE QUESTIONS, PAVE THE WAY FOR THE FUTURE.
- ANCIENT GREECE ; THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A DEMOCRATIC SYSTEM, DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SPARTA AND ATHENS
- CULTURAL IMPACT OF ANCIENT GREECE/ GROUP WORKS
- Monday: Sources; origin, purpose, value, limitations; an investigation on your personal life: group work, discussion.. Starting with the FIRST PEOPLE IN EUROPE; hunter-gatherers; Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons..
- Wednesday: a Film clip on the first people in Europe; compare and contrast: New theories.. The Agrarian revolution!
- The Agrarian revolution; Minoans and Mycenaen people
- What is pre-IB history / IB History?
- Historical Sources ( origin, purpose, value, limitations..)
1) Compare and contrast the early Middle Age culture and the Renaissance ( give examples on the artists, writers etc..)
2) To what extent would you agree; " Feudalism weakened the power of the king"?. Explain the system of feudalism as a whole.
3) Outline the development of the agriculture and the growth of population in the high Middle Ages.
4) Examine the towns and trade routes of the Middle ages. Compare and contrast the early and the late Middle ages.
5) Investigate the causes for the expansion of Europe. Explain the consequences of the expansion both for the mother countries and for the native cultures.
6) How come is it fair to say; the Expansion of Europe created world-scale trade?
7) Justify the claim; Louis XIV of France was an absolutist ruler.
8) To what extent is it fair to say; " The Enlightenment freed the people"?. Assess the impact of the Enlightenment and give some examples on the Enlightenment thinkers, writers, musicians..
9) Investigate the causes for the American ( 1776) and French revolutions ( 1789). Discuss the impacts of the revolutions as well.
10) To what extent is it fair to say that industrialization created a modern society?
1) STUDY THE MAP ON PAGE 215 AND EXPLAIN THE TRIANGULAR TRADE PATTERN TOGETHER WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE WORLD SCALE TRADE.
2) WRITE A PERSONAL RESPONSE ABOUT THE IMPACTS OF THE COLONIZATION FROM THE 16TH CENTURIES ONWARDS. VISIT THE POSITIVE AND THE NEGATIVE ASPECTS OF THE COLONIZATION OF BOTH EUROPEANS AND THE NATIVES, SUMMARIZE.
1) EARLY MIDDLE AGE CULTURE
2) THE DEVELOPMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND THE GROWTH OF POPULATION 950-13TH C
3) RENAISSANCE, RISE OF TRADE AND CAPITALISM
4) BLACK DEATH
5) EXPANSION OF EUROPE
6) ABSOLUTISM, BAROQUE
7) THE ENLIGHTENMENT
8) INDUSTRIALISATION AND ITS IMPACT ON THE WHOLE EUROPE
1) Justify the claim: Europe shares a common culture.
2) To what extent is it fair to say that the Ancient Greek and Roman cultures are the basis for our Western culture?
3) Examine the main causes for the rise of the Roman Empire.
4) Compare and contrast the government systems of Ancient Athens and Rome
5) Could you justify the claim; the Agrarian Revolution paved the way for modern societies?
6) Explain the causes for the collapse of the Roman Empire
7) Discuss the impact of the Minoans and Mycenaeans on the European identity and on Western culture as a whole.
8) To what extent is it fair to say that the Roman Empire shared a common culture?
9) Explain the economic unity of the Roman Empire.
10) Is it fair to say that the Byzantine Empire had a great influence on the Western culture?
Impressionism; Claude MOnet and E. Manet