Mathematical Methods Syllabus Outline
The course consists of the study of seven topics. All topics are compulsory. students must study all the sub-topics in each of the topics in the syllabus. Students are also required to be familiar with the topics listed as presumed knowledge (PK). The total duration of the course is 150 hours (140 hours for the course content and 10 hours for the portfolio).
The seven topics, the total of 140 hours, are
- Topic 1 — Algebra 8 hrs
- Topic 2 — Functions and equations 24 hrs
- Topic 3 — Circular functions and trigonometry 16 hrs
- Topic 4 — Matrices 10 hrs
- Topic 5 — Vectors 16 hrs
- Topic 6 — Statistics and probability 30 hrs
- Topic 7 — Calculus 36 hrs
The students are expected to spend the minimum amount of 10 hours for the mathematical portfolios. The portfolio consists of the two pieces of work assigned by the teacher and completed by the student during the course. Each piece of student work contained in the portfolio must be based on an area of the syllabus. The two types of the tasks are
- Type I — mathematical investigation
- Type II — mathematical modelling.
In practise, students will do two type I and two type II pieces of work during the course, out of which the two best pieces of work will be submitted to the IBO.