We interviewed Antti Kasurinen, our assistant head teacher, about vandalism in our school.
1. Has there been any vandalism in our school?
“Very little. The first wall spray-paint ever was in the autumn.”
2. If so, then what kind of vandalism has there been in our school?
“Wasting 142 metres of toilet paper, broken windows.”
3. How much vandalism has there been?
“Very little, fortunately.”
4. What grade are the culprits usually on?
“They are divided quite evenly between grades.”
5. What does the vandalism focus on?
“The school canteen and toilets. For example leaving the tap running in toilets.”
6. Has the amount of vandalism increased or decreased over the course of time?
“It has stayed on the same, very low, level.”
7. Is there any special case of vandalism that you remember?
“Breaking windows, spray-painting on walls, wasting toilet paper. ”
8. What are the differences in vandalism between boys and girls?
“Most culprits are usually boys; those who smoke in the toilets are usually girls.”
9. How much does vandalism cost in our school each year?
“The costs are usually a few hundred euros. This year 1,500-2,000€ because the wall had to be cleaned up.”
10. How does vandalism show in school life?
Small things, interrupting break exercise. Stealing money, especially in the eighties.
We also interviewed the police about vandalism in our town.
1. How much vandalism is there in Joensuu?
“In some seasons, during the autumn before snow. Very calm, mostly individual graffitis."
2. What kind of vandalism?
“Trashing, breaking windows and other things, graffitis in underpasses, throwing eggs on buildings.”
3. How do you interfere?
“We give information to adolescents, examine, serialize.”
4. How often do you interfere?
“Every time when something is seen.”
5. When and where is vandalism most common in Joensuu?
“In the 8th and 5th grade at school, early winter and February. At any time. Three times in Pielisjoki school.”
6. How much does vandalism cost the town per year?
“Hard to say, a six-digit figure. Hundreds or tens of thousands anyway.”
7. What kind of people commit vandalism most often?
“Drunken men aged 13-23.”
8. Does racism show in vandalism?
“Pizzerias and cars that belong to foreign people are affected.”
9. What is the most common type of vandalism?
“Breaking things by throwing.”
10. Is there more vandalism now than, for example, 20 years ago?
“No, it has stayed about the same.”
These pictures have been taken in Penttilä, Joensuu.
Luotu: 12.5.2011 18:52
Muokattu: 20.5.2011 12:30